Though I’ve had little chance to travel and experience music of other cultures first-hand, I have had a few lucky experiences in my life that at least got my veritable “foot in the door” toward the possibilities of music of the world. I’ve been able to come up with a few memorable points in my life that have highlighted music that diverges from a Vivaldi bassoon sonata.
[Point 1] My mother works as an accounting manager for a company that deals with textiles and the like, and she often comes in contact with employees of similar companies from a variety of places. She once frequently came across a man from India who seemed to take a liking to her and to our family, though I don’t ever specifically remember meeting him. I was fairly young at the time, and was always particularly pleased when my mother would bring home various Indian trinkets given to her by her friend and co-worker, including a rather large collection of ornaments that hang on our Christmas tree to this day. On one such occasion she brought home a CD of a sitar player, conveying the message that her friend thought my sister and I would like it. I distinctly remember how my sister and I listened to the CD with fascination, not really sure what to make of the strange sounds wafting from the Sony boom box. That instance was one of the earliest times that I realized that the musical world was not as small as my Classics for Kids (from Tchaikovsky to Copland) tape suggested.
[Point 2] I attend a Baptist church, and I have always had very Baptist parents and very Baptist grandparents. My grandfather on my father’s side, now passed on, was almost single-handedly responsible for introducing to the wonders of Southern Gospel (think the Gaithers). Though Southern Gospel isn’t exactly displaced from the Western realm, it is distinctively a cultural type of music that I don’t find myself hearing in the practice rooms of Blackman. My grandfather taught himself to play the guitar, and since my sister and I were barely old enough to hum a tune he would play and sing gospel songs for us. As we grew older, we were allowed to strum along on the guitar. To this day that style of singing is rooted in my memory. At my grandfather’s funeral a few years ago, the family entered the church sanctuary to one of those old gospel tunes I have heard all my life. Up until that moment I had remained fairly dry-eyed, but soon found myself collapsing against my mother in tears. My sister, also succumbing to grief, summed up the moment with “it’s the music!”
[Point 3] One of my more recent encounters with music of a different culture occurred during my senior year of high school when the Chamber Singers took a trip to Puerto Rico. While in Puerto Rico, we had numerous opportunities to perform for the public, from performances in local high schools and churches to a hotel resort bar. One of the best experiences of the trip was a music clinic we attended with two local choral groups in the Instituto de Música Juan Morel Campos. During the morning spent at the clinic, we students from Belton and Honea Path (These are towns in SC. No one knows where they are but me) were given the opportunity to learn about the traditional music of Puerto Rico. Though Puerto Rican music is influenced by everything from African music to the music of the United States, the small island has a proud musical culture. We were afforded the opportunity to sing such genres as the danza and the plena. Singing with students who are immersed in these types of music every day made the experience that much more special.
This is all good, Abigail. Hopefully you'll find some familiarity when we get to Indian music--we'll definitely being hitting the sitar and some famous sitarists. And I'm with you on the funeral music--I always find that I can stay in pretty reasonable self-control in those sorts of situations right up until the point that I have to sing, and then I inevitably lose it. Playing the oboe and crying=no problem; singing and crying=impossible. And it might interest you to know that the Petrie school was working on an exchange program with the Puerto Rican Conservatory a few years ago, and I think that efforts are being made to revive that process. Could be interesting!
ReplyDeleteYou make a good point about how important music can be at a funeral. I had my own experience this Christmas break. My grandfather's sister passed away and for her funeral, my sister and I were asked to lead the singing of a few Catholic hymns. My grandfather's brother (who used to be a really good cellist) joined us in the singing with great enthusiasm and it was the first time that I had ever heard him sing. He had such a strong voice and he made up all these really neat bass harmonies as my sister sang soprano and I sang alto. Another cousin of mine I had never heard sing before suddenly piped in with a tenor part. Before we knew it, the hymn was being sung in four part harmony. No rehearsals , just on the spot. I can say that at that moment a lot of people at the funeral chose to become really emotional. It was a very gripping moment.
ReplyDeleteYour trip to Puerto Rico sounds amazing! It must have been so great to get to learn about their music in their actual country and from the people who make and listen to it. And I love the point you made about how it was the music at the funeral that brought you to tears. It's so true that music can make such a huge difference in the way we experience certain situations.
ReplyDeleteAbigail, this is amazing. Indian music is now one of my favorites, and to get to experience that culture from a family friend is wonderful. I know that because of my upbringing I am more inclined to explore all different kinds of music. Gospel was something I forgot to mention but when I first experienced it live I was drawn back from it. It's extremely powerful and at the time I couldn't handle it. I'm sorry for your loss, I hope that the music helped to heal you (I find that crying makes it all better and music that I can relate to helps me cope). I'm quite jealous of your trip to Puerto Rico. Experiencing something like that first hand is incredible!
ReplyDeleteI really like the fact that you were introduced to sitar music. I've just recently started listening to Ravi Shankar, he's a sitarist who did some work with the Beatles and is also Norah Jone's father. If you're still interested in the sitar, you should give him a listen.
ReplyDelete