What is something you learned about another culture this term that surprised or intrigued you?
I would say that one of the most intriguing concepts of the term was the way in which other cultures view music and use music in life. I found it most fascinating that multiple cultures use music as a form of work song, such as those of Sub-Saharan Africa, but do not consider their songs and rhythms to be actual music. Native Americans, however, use music for specific purposes at very specific points in time; nothing is done without a reason.
The blog entries themselves were also a point of interest for the term. Not only did we all encounter a lot of “cool stuff” to correlate with the class, we also were able to “bare our souls” a bit and address very broad concepts that we can trace through both our personal lives to other cultures.
What is something that you realized about your own culture through our discussions?
Through this course, I really came to terms with the fact that there is a whole world of different music to explore. I feel that sometimes we tend to fall into a rut and only consider the music of our Western culture, though we must be open and eager to entertain that we are but a minute piece of a much larger picture.
I also came to realize how much each culture, not necessarily just our own, influences other cultures. This concept can be traced through instruments, vocal styles, etc.
Thirdly, I came to terms with the fact that our Western music culture is so heavily based on harmony as opposed to so many other cultures. While we find the aesthetics of suspensions and tension most pleasing, there is much to be said for the intricacies of melodies in such countries as India. Each musical style has its merits and creates a sense of beauty.
What is something that this course has inspired you to learn more about?
Since the completion of this course, I feel really compelled to continue listening to music of other cultures. Though I preferred some music more than others throughout the term, I am most inspired to simply keep listening! I want to hear music from all corners of the world as available. I am especially interested in the musical instruments of other cultures and how so many parallel instruments of different places.
I have also decided that my future self will become a master of the bandoneón and that I will be an active participant in an African Drumming Circle.
The End, it's been fun. :)
I'm so glad you enjoyed the course, Abigail, and hope it will continue to be an inspiration for exploration in times to come. And I'm glad you found the blogs valuable, and that they seem to be doing what I was hoping for--connecting the class outside the classroom, and offering you a chance to learn from each other. Now go practice that accordion!
ReplyDelete